Effingham, New Hampshire
Incorporated in 1778 and so named after the Earls of Effingham who were related to Governor Wentworth by marriage.
Known for the Lord Mansion on 153 the a very impressive building to this day. Original painting on the wall and often open at Christmas time for tours. Another landmark is the bandstand in the old town center(picture of bandstand here). Effingham also has a boat ramp to the Ossipee River on Route 25.(picture here.
Effingham was home to the first normal school in New Hampshire, established in 1830 on the second floor of the Effingham Union Academy Building, erected in 1819. James W. Bradbury, later a Maine senator, took charge of the school only on condition that it should be for the "instruction and training of teachers." The idea was his own and, at that time, entirely novel.